Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Zev Mintz a man of class

When I first came to Ohio State a year ago I had no intention of joining a fraternity. I have heard from many people all of the bad stereotypes of Greek life. Coming from Connecticut though I realized I needed a way to make a big school small and looked at all different types of organizations. I decided to rush a couple fraternities just to see what they were actually like. The first rush event I went to was a cook out at FIJI and really enjoyed it. Most of the stereotypes I heard about Greeks did not seem to be true. All of the guys were friendly, outgoing and had very positive experiences. The next day I wound up coming out to Pi Kapp for another cook out and I started speaking to a member named Nick. We wound up talking for a while and he explained to me pi kappa philanthropy organization. He talked about how all year we raise money for people with handicaps. This was a very big issue in my mind because my uncle is mentally challenged and my mom worked as a special Ed teacher for over twenty years. I wound up going to a few more events and before I knew it I was an associate member of pi kappa phi. Through my experience of pledging I made some of my best friends not only with other associates, but many of the members.

As a member now I have gained a ton of skills that have made me become a better man. I am not the shy kid who on the first day barely talked to anyone. I have taken a week long leadership program through nationals to help me hopefully hold a position on exec board someday. In addition to just gaining a ton of confidence and leadership skills I have also utilized resources with in my chapter. For example I now work for the IT department for Ohio Astarte because a fellow brother worked there and was able to get me a job there. I have tried to live by the ideals that pi kapp instilled in every brother. I can honestly say I have gained 40 brothers this past year and would help each and everyone of them in whatever way possible.

Looking back I can't believe I have ever questioned joining a fraternity. I do not know where I'd be without my brothers and am glad to say I am a Pi Kapp for life.

This picture says it all....ODH

4 comments:

  1. When I started looking at fraternities I was also cautions because of all the stereotypes I had heard.

    I love when people get really hooked by their fraternity or sorority not only for of the people but for what they accomplish.

    On my last comment i mentioned the instilled ideals that you talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it's great that you were able to join a fraternity that had a philanthropy that was close to your heart. My sorority's philanthropy is arthritis, which is close to my heart because my grandmother has it. Now you can help to raise money for a great cause and one that you truly care about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound like quite the classy gentleman. I am proud to call you my brother

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shared your skepticism about joining a Greek organization. The philanthropy aspect was a big reason why I joined my fraternity as well. It sounds like your organization has really helped you grow as an individual.

    ReplyDelete