Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Blog 1: Why Delta Sigma Phi? Joe Van Hulle

Blog 1: Why Delta Sigma Phi? Joe Van Hulle

There are a lot of obvious benefits to Greek life. The life long bonds alone should get most peoples attentions.

Earlier today I was talking to one of my brothers about Delta Sig. What was supposed to be a quick check in about a PNM (potential new member) turned into a 40 minute conversation. Our excitement of the direction we are going with Delta Sig had got the best of us. Its easy to look at what I have in my fraternity and say that it is an integral part of me but its hard to think of what initially got me hooked.


Coming into freshman year I didn't give much thought to going Greek. No one in my family was involved in it so why should i be right? I got involved in a couple organizations on campus, most importantly USG. Through USG I met a very interesting individual. Matt Deptola is by far one of the most genuine, enthusiastic, and caring individuals I know. He held a leadership position in USG and was (is) the president of Delta Sig and our paths crossed regularly. Just through conversations with Matt, I came to know a lot of what the fraternity stood for.

Genuity, chivalry, culture, harmony, and friendship were words that frequented our conversations, not only in respects to the fraternity but life in general. Through my conversations with Matt and the other brothers I came to find Delta Sig was a group make a positive impact with.


I was drawn to Delta Sig not only by the charismatic guys in it but by the ideals it stood for and the positive impact it strives to make.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like those are the ideal reasons to go Greek and the values that all of our chapters should strive to represent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you try to apply your fraternity principles to your everyday life. It helps show how Greek organizations care about everyone else and not just their organization.

    ReplyDelete