Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Caitlin L. Jones-Alpha Omicron Pi

I had been ecstatic when I had been accepted into Ohio State. It was my dream school and I couldn't wait to get out of my small town to start a new life for myself. I couldn't wait to experience new things and make lasting friendships. However, as time had passed, things hadn't exactly worked out as I had wanted them to. My roommate and I didn't get along and I found that many of the people around me didn't share my interests or had already made friends and didn't want more. I decided to look into greek life as a way to make friends and have the kind of experience that I wanted in college.

I wasn't sure which house was going to be a good fit for me. My eldest half sister had been an AOII at Ohio University, but I didn't want to join a sorority solely based on that. As recruitment had passed, I found myself really enjoying the women I was meeting at AOII. However, when the last round had come, I found myself still not sure of which house I should join. Then, one of the girls at AOII had said something to me that stood out. "Most girls think that joining a sorority means you're wanted, but they're wrong. It's not a feeling of being wanted, it's a feeling of being needed." That statement had stuck out to me and made me realize that AOII was the home for me. Imagine my surprise when, on bid day, my sister jumped out of the main floor's closet to welcome me into her sisterhood. I had only been a member for a day and these women had already gone an extra step to make me feel welcomed; I was home.

Since then, I've had many great opportunities through my sorority. Leadership positions, friendships; all of the things that I had wanted were in AOII.
                             My big and I before a "mythical creatures and school teachers" TG I planned.
  The following morning was when I learned a lesson to not use fingernail glue to affix starfish to one's hair.

                     A Paddle I had made my for biological sister with our pins, birth dates, and initiation dates.
       I used spray paint glitter to make the paddle, but now the inside of my lungs are probably coated in glitter.

                                               
                                               My little and I throwing up the AOII hand sign.


4 comments:

  1. I think it is amazing that your sister was able to be at Bid Day, and I'm also super jealous. The quote you included is great and I think it really symbolizes what the recruitment process should be known for instead of girls feeling like they need to be wanted by someone else.

    PS I love your mermaid costume

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sweet that they went out of their way to make sure that your sister could be in attendance on Bid Day. It shows a great sisterhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone can relate to the Greek Life idea of being needed instead of wanted. And how your sorority surprised you by bringing your sister in is really thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like such a fun bid day!

    ReplyDelete