Like Kate, I really had no intention of joining fraternity life when I came to school. As a first gen. student, the idea of going to college was still relatively new to my family and fraternity life was something that I had no idea about. It's not that I didn't have my (stereotypical) ideas of what Greek life was, I just didn't know truly what Greek life entailed.
So how did I end up in Alpha Gamma Sigma, you may ask? Well, here's the story. During my first few weeks of fall semester freshman year, I really wasn't fitting in or finding my niche. I wanted to go home and attend a local college pretty badly, but my sister, who was in her junior year here, decided to make it her mission for me to stay. So, one night she took me over the one of AGS's bowling nights to see if I would like to join a Fraternity. That night really changed my mind about Greek life. Contrary to all of the negative thoughts I had, it turned out that these guys were really cool, laid back, and close. I really felt a sense of connection due to the fact that I came from a small farming town, and all of the guys reminded me of people I used to hang out with back home.
After that, I attended Monday night chapter dinners and really got to know all of the guys. I think that what I liked most was not only how close the guys in the house were, but how close they were with some of the Alumni. I wanted to be apart of that bond.
While the Fraternity bond and brotherhood is the main reason why I joined, there were also a few factors that helped in my decision making. Due to the fact that we are a smaller organization and have high turnover rates, there was the opportunity to gain some leadership experience through some executive positions in the house. ΑΓΕ also has a rich history and strong alumni base, resulting in excellent networking opportunities and scholarship money. All in all, I'm proud to be in Alpha Gamma Sigma because I'm proud to be part of a strong brotherhood, rich history, and future legacy.

The middle of first semester I was thinking of transferring. I, also, hadn't found my niche. I think as we expand our social network we create more of a home for ourselves and get more out of life in general.
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of students currently in Greek Life didn't see themselves joining a fraternity or sorority, myself included. I think it is great that your fraternity helped to keep you at Ohio State!
ReplyDelete