Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Common Purpose

Throughout this class and in almost every greek leadership event that I have ever attended has centered around the concept of collaboration and cooperation. Despite all this, I admit that when I initially joined, I had a very chapter-centric view of greek life. Rivalries were taught to me by the older guys in the chapter and I naturally adopted them blindly, despite not knowing anything about the chapter in question other than the fact that their letters were different than mine. A major turning point for me came during CPLI when Sharrell had every delegate stand up and recite their creed. All of us were basically saying the same thing with different words. All of our organizations hold common purpose and values while maintaining the same basic goal, to foster the betterment of our community. Whether that be through leadership or community service we are all essentially the same organizations only with different ways of expressing them. 

For example, the Pi Kappa Phi creed reads as follows:

"I believe that the ideal chapter is made up of men bound together in a common loyalty which transcends any personal selfishness.

Who realize that membership means personal responsibility in bearing their share of the financial burden, of the chapter and national organization. 

Who bring credit to the fraternity by attaining the highest possible standards of scholarship.

Who safeguard the reputation of their chapter, by keeping careful watch over their personal conduct.

Who uphold faithfully the traditions and activities of their college.

Who prepare themselves diligently to shoulder their full responsibilities as citizens. 

I believe that my chapter can become an ideal chapter, and I shall do my share to make it so."

So essentially, we believe in brotherhood, financial responsibility, scholarship, outstanding personal conduct, tradition, and citizenship. On top of that, a pillar of our fraternity is philanthropy (Push America specifically) making community service just as vital as anything in our creed. While I will not go through the process of researching every chapters creeds and values, I have complete confidence that every single organization on campus holds these same principles in high regard. This is something that we need to remember to put aside any rivalries that may exist between or even within chapters, common purpose. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you were able to grow from your experience. Often times, it seems that we are made to feel like we need these rivalries and have to be pitted against each other. It's true that while we might be from different chapters, all of us have similar values and aims at our cores. We all want to improve our college campus and do something good in the world. If we focused more on that, I feel as though we wouldn't have such an issue with elitism in our Greek system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good that you clarify that most Greek communities have the same common purpose. Also the fact that stereotypes are set in our culture. The fact that the stereotype exists and you know of is only the culture's fault. once we move past the stereotypes its possible to understand each other and recognize the common purpose across the community.

    ReplyDelete