Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Identity and Consciousness of Self


"I think, therefore I AM."- Descartes
...Yet, it's what we think that defines who we are! And what we think and do determines our brand

Within the readings, two of the concepts that stuck out to me were Identity and Consciousness of Self. I fervently believe that everyone has a brand and that the things that we do, say, concern ourselves with, and believe heavily influence that. 

In the Greek community branding is particularly important.Firstly, we have to be drawn in by the brand in order to want to join a chapter. After successfully being initiated, it is up to those members that bought into the brand to maintain it or even make it better. Furthermore, establishing one's identity is vital to determining what your organization believes in and how it will advocate for those things moving forward. 

As a result, we must rely on consciousness of self to preserve these ideas and additionally reflect on whether or not we're fulfilling our purpose and perpetuating our brand. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like your thinking on the concept of a Greek 'brand.' Every fraternity or sorority has a reputation that is created on campus or set in ink within their national council. It's up to our organizations to prove to their student body that they deserve to be apart of campus and to sell our 'brand' to future members of our fraternity or sorority.

    ReplyDelete