Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Blog 4

Common purpose is incredibly important when it comes to being successful as a group. Without a common purpose the direction of an organization will not align and therefore that group will not accomplish much of anything. When you join an organization usually you join the group with that common purpose in mind. This idea of having everyone on the same page about certain things is exactly why I joined Pi Kappa Phi. In order to see what are purpose you have to look no further then our creed.

I believe that the Ideal chapter is made up of men

Who are bound together in a common loyalty
which transcends any personal selfishness;
Who realize that membership means personal responsibility
in bearing their share of the financial burden
of the chapter and the national organization;
Who bring credit to the fraternity by striving to attain
the highest possible standards of scholarship;
Who safeguard the reputation of their chapter
by keeping careful watch over their personal conduct;
Who uphold faithfully the
traditions and activities of their college;
Who prepare themselves diligently to shoulder their
full responsibility as citizens.
I believe that my chapter can become an ideal chapter,
and I shall do my share to make it so.

Each stanza highlights one common purpose of are fraternity and I would like to pick out a few that really made me want to join this fraternity. The first thing is common loyalty which is essentially common purpose. The big thing about common loyalty is that I really believe not one person is bigger or more important then the rest. I think the stanza that says common loyalty and putting the fraternity before ourselves is critical. Whether your the president, eboard, a new member or an associate everyone joined this fraternity to better themselves and the chapter. It is important to remember that we all share that same goal.

Next common purpose we have is scholarship. I got good grades in the end of my high school career and valued education above almost anything. It is important that I am surrounding myself with people that share the same views and encourage me to put scholarship first above any external influences such as partying, being lazy, video games or any other distractions.

The last one I want to discuss is preparing ourselves diligently to become contributing citizens to society someday. We all want to become gentlemen and we all want to be helpful in the world not make it a worse place.

Although we have many goals within our chapter we all joined because of these goals. We all went in to this organization knowing that these are what we were striving to do. If we didn't have this common purpose we would not be a fraternity instead we would just be a group of guys hanging out. I believe a common purpose is what makes this world go round no matter what you are doing. I also think it is fitting that are creed starts and ends with "being an ideal chapter". Being an ideal chapter is living  up to the rest of the creed and thats what makes it so important that everyone believes in this common purpose.

4 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to hear that you joined an organization because your values aligned with those of your fraternity. I think that more and more people join greek life for the wrong reasons and end up being a blight to the group and community more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you brought up the importance of the entire chapter over the importance of maybe just one member. I think sometimes we get lost in trying to please everyone when in reality we should be doing the best for our chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that you mentioned loyalty. If there is little loyalty to the group than it is hard to collaborate on a common purpose, since not everyone will be loyal to the values behind the common purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what you have types, it's obvious that you care a lot about your chapter and want to do your best to live up to its ideals. I respect how you mentioned loyalty and find that little loyalty always leads to trouble. I also think that the needs of many outweigh the needs of a few, and this idea should be applied to chapters.

    ReplyDelete