Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Reflection

The idea of reflection really stuck out to me when reading the chapter for today. I believe that an important part of life, why experience is so valuable, regardless of leadership is learning from the mistakes of the past. The famous quote states that the definition of insanity is repeating the same process over and over again while expecting different results. The flip side of this is that if something works well, then it is important to repeat it to ensure sustained productivity. Reflection after any event or meeting is critical in keeping organization and improving as a chapter. This is something that I believe that we do well after philanthropy events, subrituals, etc. but not necessarily after meetings. I believe that the attitude in my chapter is currently geared towards the mentality that reflection is only necessary and productive after an actual event. I think that we would benefit greatly from reflections after both chapter and exec meetings. Reading this chapter has given me this realization and while I think that it is a little unrealistic to expect reflections after chapter from members, I think it is reasonable to implement a type of reflection for the members of my executive board after meetings.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate how you connected the readings to something you've noticed in your chapter. I think it's a great idea for you to implement reflections for your exec board after meetings. You can start with them and eventually try to spread reflection to the chapter as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you want to implement reflections into your chapter meetings. I definitely think if you start it at the exec level it should filter down to your normal chapter. We do something similar in ours. We use our new business section to discuss changes that need to be made in the future for events. We also have a section for remarks for the good of the chapter where we positively reflect the works of our brothers for the past week. This includes events and just overall brotherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's great that you saw this void within your chapter and are finding ways to improve this. I think that reflection is really important. However, sometimes too much reflection can be the lifeblood of otherwise moot topics. Thus, it should be used when necessary and amongst topics that can be benefitted from dialogue.

    ReplyDelete