Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Strength Quest- Emily Shellhouse

I was very happy when I received my top five strengths and actually think I possess them. My strengths were consistency, positivity, achiever, focus, and includer.

I definitely feel like I try to be consistent with most things I do. For example, I try to develop a schedule when the semester first starts and stick to it. This schedule includes time to study, work, and time to just relax. I also try to treat everyone the way they should be treated. I'm a firm believer in the golden rule and seriously hate when people treat others poorly for no reason at all. I think I get this trait from my mom, she has been a guardian for 22 years and truly enjoys making a difference in peoples lives.

Positivity is important in all aspects of life. If you don't begin each day with a positive attitude, you'll become upset at even the littlest things. I try to look on the bright side whenever I am faced with a tough decision or something didn't turn out the way I had planned. Because I try to be positive I enjoy surrounding myself with other positive people, we help keep each other grounded.


I think achiever and focus go hand in hand. I strive to do my best in school, work, and life and I have to have focus if I can achieve my best. I also need to achieve great things now to have a life style I want in the future, my goals are definitely fueling my fire.


Finally, my last strength is includer. This strength is not only a blessing but a curse. I have a hard time saying no to people and I believe this is why. I want to make everyone feel like they are a part of something and that they are welcome to participate but this isn't always the best thing. I know from experience that some friends just shouldn't hang out with others and when you try to bring them together in one circle it can hurt everyone. I have been trying to work on strengthening my back bone and learning to tell people no or even stop inviting people just because I feel bad they weren't invited.

5 comments:

  1. I envy your consistency, I wish I was able to make a schedule that included downtime and actually was able to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shellhouse,

    Like you, I believe Achiever and Focus go hand in hand. I feel like one without the other would make an incomplete circuit and you may never achieve what you want or get anything finished. You may see your Includer strength as a negative, but I beg to differ. The people who don't take advantage of you really appreciate that you are so warm and welcoming. It really makes you an awesome person!


    --Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great strengths :) They definitely show that you are a caring, kind, and determined individual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you're ability to schedule your time consistently. I think that is something I need to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hitting on your point of being positive every day. My high school principal always said "you can go through your day or you can make every day the best day". So I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete